Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pit Bull Terriers Can Be Your Best Friend Too

My dog, Sahara, turns one this week, so in honor of her, I wanted to take a moment and explain to people why I love her, even though she is a pit bull terrier. Pit bull terriers are one of the most misunderstood breeds. While, yes, people in the past have raised these dogs to fight, that doesn’t mean that they’re an aggressive breed. In fact, it only reflects on their obedience and easy-to-train traits. They are actually a very good family dog because they’re loyal, and they love people. In fact, the American Pit Bull Terrier was the most popular family dog in the first part of the 20th century. It’s not this breed’s fault that the wrong people took this eager-to-please breed and trained them to fight. And it’s also not their fault that the media blew these stories out of proportion. I just wanted to take today to explain my love for this breed because I hate that people act nervous or scared every time I tell people what kind of dog I have. After reading this, I hope that you give pit bulls a second chance and actually hold out your hand to them because all they’re going to do is sniff it and lick it, not bite it. 

Unfortunately, the only photo I have of her is when she was only a couple of months old (pictured above), but I found one that looks exactly like her now, except she’s all black instead of having a white spot on her chest (pictured below).

No comments: