Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Earth Day


"The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard."
- Gaylord Nelson, founder of Earth Day


In one week we will be celebrating Earth Day. When I say "we" I mean all of us, people, humanity. This is a special day. It is a celebration that crosses nationalities, histories, religions, and cultures. Whoever we are, we all have one thing in common—the Earth.

Gaylord Nelson founded Earth Day in 1970. He was a State Senator, Governor and U.S. Senator from Wisconsin. He was involved in passing our most basic and comprehensive pieces of Environmental Legislation. He worked hard to create "a world that does not make us sick."

The first Earth Day, April 22, 1970, was a huge success, drawing millions of people at a grassroots level. It was a true outpouring of care and concern regarding the resources and environment of our home. Since that day, Earth Day has gained international recognition and is celebrated around the globe.

Over the next week, I'm going to blog about ways to celebrate Earth Day. Is the focus on our world making a difference? How are animal species and habitats being affected? I know that sounds really serious, but it doesn't mean it can't be fun. One way I'm making it fun is by sending Earth Day cards to my friends and family. I want to remind them I'm thinking of them and that there is an important day coming up. I chose these cards because the images are gorgeous, they are made of recycled materials, AND my purchase sends money to global conservation. Win, win, win.

No comments: